Friday, February 5, 2010

A couple of apologies

Time to catch up on a few things.  First, Mr. Bruckner, I gave your Romantic Symphony some fairly poor grades earlier (Happy Birthday, Frederic Chopin).  Having completed our Winter concert, I can now say that the piece is quite a bit better than I initially thought.  Continuity is still poor, and the amount of repetition is still high.  The answering phrases are generally rather trite.  Nevertheless, the melody, orchestration and harmony are really quite good.  There are many spots that sound distinctly Mahleresque (those would be the passages inspired by Austrian nature, I believe).

And, to the saltmarsh sharp-tailed sparrow (A good day for the Hudsonian Godwit), I offer a profound apology.  I made no mention of the fact that you are the sexiest bird on the planet!  Or at least the most promiscuous hen bird. Who knew?  See this BBC article for more details.

And a mild apology to my teammates for Wednesday's Swiss teams at Arlington.  Kim and I had been out to dinner (part of her birthday celebration).  We abstained from drinking any alcohol but eating a lot is never good for my bridge game.  When we got to the club we found it was a team game and we got teammates, who had also shown up not knowing.  I pretty much played on autopilot.  The team as a whole was fairly dreadful.  We didn't win a single match, and lost to two teams that we should have beaten handily.  Ugh!

But, we still had a good time!

No comments:

Post a Comment