Sunday, September 27, 2009

Rafting on the Amazon


I always knew that Miranda was capable of doing just about anything -- and probably would do it whatever we said. But I never really expected to hear that she would be going rafting on the Amazon in Peru! Having completed two days of the race, I hear she's still alive and well. That's good news indeed.

She's in Peru on a Fogarty Scholarship for the academic year 09-10 and will therefore be graduating from Vet school in '11 instead of '10. She definitely seems to be having fun there in Peru. So far, she hasn't done a lot of real work, I gather, but she's still trying to get her project organized. Things operate slowly down there, I guess. MaƱana.

I'm not quite sure how wide the river is at Iquitos but having watched Michael Palin's travel program Full Circle, I'd guess it's about a mile across. It doesn't seem like an ideal place to go rafting -- especially on a raft you built yourself just the previous day -- but there are plenty of crazies who come from all over the world to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment