Tuesday, February 9, 2010

What Superbowl? The Who?

For the first time in, well, decades I missed seeing the superbowl.  I didn't even record it on TiVo.  I didn't see any of the pre-game hoopla.  But I wish I had been watching at the moment when Peyton "the choker" Manning scored an own goal by passing the ball to one of the players in white instead of the royal blue, thus sealing another big game loss.

I'm not exactly a Manning hater but I just find all of the idolization of the brothers Peyton and Eli a little bit much.  Especially when the latter robbed the Patriots of the perfect season a few years ago by escaping from a sack only to float the ball down to his receiver within easy scoring range.  To my mind there's only one kind of great quarterback: a winning quarterback.  It doesn't matter how many touchdown passes you make if your team doesn't win!  Joe Montana knew that.  So did plenty of other great quarterbacks.  Manning isn't one of them.  Brady is.  End of story!

A propos of the Brady-Manning controversy, I just finished reading Dan Shaughnessy's column this morning and I can't remember the last time I enjoyed something in the paper so much.  BTW, here is the column that he had written on the even of the superbowl.

And could someone, preferably from "The Who" organization, explain to me how we old guys should go about getting well paid employment when the rest of the world seems to think that we've "rounded third"?  I'd love to know.

So what were we doing on Sunday evening?  Actually, we were returning from a "Wicked" weekend in New York.  As part of Kim's birthday celebrations, we went to see Wicked, the hit musical that is the "back story" (or "prequel") behind the Wizard of Oz.  It was great!  Let's all defy gravity!

No comments:

Post a Comment