Friday, January 15, 2010

The Three Musketeers and the iPhone



I now have an iPhone (my Christmas gift from Kim) and it is truly amazing.

There is never a web page that I can't read (although some pages require a fair amount of pushing and shoving of the text within the window).  But that is so easily done with just one finger.  The touch-screen keyboard makes typing incredibly easy (compare, for example, to the blackberry).  And, one of the most amazing features of all: it knows whether I'm viewing in landscape or portrait mode by magic!  [well, it seems like magic].

That reminds me of why the vacuum flask is one of the most brilliant inventions of all time: it can keep hot things hot and it can keep cold things cold and it knows which to do!

But to return to the iPhone, it also has an enormous number of apps, many of which are free.  I have the iBird app which is like having a field guide to the birds in your pocket.  Actually, it's better because a) it's smaller, b) it has more birds, c) it can play you the bird calls of species you think you might be hearing.  I also use a free RSS reader which allows me to keep up to date on the various blogs and news feeds that I read.

When I'm in need of calming, I go to the special built-in uTube app and play my favorite: Alicia de Larrocha's recording of the second movement of Mozart's 23rd piano concerto.

It also has an incredibly good digital camera built in that is so easy to use, I really don't need my old camera any more (in fact, my old camera always has about a half-second delay before it deigns to take a photograph which pretty much rules out an action shots).  Here, for example, is the photo (top) which I call "the three musketeers" taken on the morning before our foster dog Miley (center) was due to go to her permanent home.

Oh, and did I mention that I can use it as a cell phone?

About the only thing the iPhone doesn't do is make the tea.  Guess I'll have to go and put the kettle on myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment