Thursday, December 31, 2009

The cannibals' song

For some reason, the lyrics (or at least the refrain) of a song popped into my head this morning.  They're from a comedy review written by John Albery, and performed at Univ in about 1970.  I don't remember much of the plot (if any) although I recall there was a dialog involving the word "bison" mistaken for "basin".  Another joke went something like this:
  • (british explorer type) I see you recieved a parcel this morning.
  • (cannibal) Yeah, mon.
  • (british explorer type) Supplies?
  • (cannibal) No, we been expectin' it for weeks.
The refrain of the Cannibals' song goes something like this:
  • For breakfast, dinner and tea and lunch;
  • We like to eat bodies, crunch, crunch, crunch;
    • Munch, munch, munch,
    • Slurp, slurp, slurp,
    • Yummy yummy yummy yummy,
    • Burp! Burp! Burp!
It's odd how the memory works.  But then I got to thinking.  Is any of this stuff written down anywhere?  I haven't been able to find it on the web.

While I was thinking about such things, I was reminded that I have forgotten the text of the grace which we scholars had to "perform" for a whole week, and reputedly the longest grace of any Oxford or Cambridge college.  Payment: one pint of beer for each reading of the grace.  I wonder if that is still the tradition.  Time to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment